Monday, April 6, 2009

Welcome

Welcome to my new blog-

I plan to discuss the content of Lutheran church music here. Specifically, I'd like to look at individual hymns and songs that I have seen used in the worship service and evaluate their use in the Lutheran church. Is this a song that supports the Song of the Church? I will post texts of songs and comment on their suitability. It is my hope that others will comment on them and enlighten me as to aspects I had not considered and perhaps generate lively discussion about them. Other posts may simply be a discussion post that describes an important aspect of Lutheran church music. I hope that I will grow in my discernment as I evaluate these songs and perhaps help others to be more discerning as well. I do not intend to bash one certain type of music or another. I hope to objectively look at each song and evaluate it with fresh eyes for use in worship.

About me: Member of the Wisconsin Ev. Lutheran Synod (WELS). Student.

If there is a song you will like to see evaluated please email or comment about it! If you are interested in reviewing a song and being a guest blogger, also, please drop a line.

3 comments:

  1. Mark,

    What a breath of fresh air. Finally, a WELS website that will give good doctrinal, Lutheran evaluations of CCM songs. I think that this is a very important work that you are doing as more and more WELS churches are using blended or contemporary worship. I think that it is important to use discernment and wisdom in choosing music for the Lutheran church service. I look for songs that focus on God's grace and the Gospel, and focus on what God and Christ does and has done for us. Many CCM songs seem to focus on me and my feelings and what I do. Often songs seem to be chosen because they have a catchy melody or are popular on the radio, instead of the lyrical content or message.


    I think that Pastor Johnold Strey is also gifted in giving good evaluations of CCM songs, if you need someone else to bounce it off of. (pastorstrey.wordpress.com)

    Anyway, I appreciate your evaluations so far. I think this is a much needed endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark,

    I appreciate your blog. Can you tell us more about your theological background? Are you a student at the WLS or MLC? Can we contact you through email if we want to send you an attachment? or would you rather stay anonymous.

    I will be sending songs for evaluation. How do I become a guest blogger and what does that mean? Thanks again for starting a blog like this. I appreciate your evaluations and your thumbs up and thumbs down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martin,

    Thank-you for the kind words. I read Pastor Strey's blog and appreciate his insights very much. Perhaps you can suggest some of those good songs you have mined.

    Anonymous,

    I have been a lifelong WELS member. For various reasons, yes, for now I will stay somewhat anonymous. Perhaps that will change in the future. I've had experience with both traditional and contemporary worship in WELS churches and I just really think worship matters a whole lot and so I have devoted a bit of study towards better understanding biblical worship principles and application. As a WELS member, I hold the Bible as the true, inerrant Word of God and accept the Lutheran Confessions as a correct exposition of Scripture.

    I forgot to leave an email address. I have now posted one to the right side of the blog.

    I guess I haven't really worked out the details of guest blogging. I am open to different ideas if there is anyone out there that would like to send in a review for me to post or has something else in mind.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete